What complications can be caused by autoimmune disease

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I'm trying to understand what complications can be caused by autoimmune diseases and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this or can offer some advice. Can anyone help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune diseases occur when the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s own tissues and organs. This can lead to a wide range of symptoms and complications.

Organ and Tissue Damage

Autoimmune diseases can cause damage to organs and tissues throughout the body. For example, lupus can cause damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, joints, and brain. Rheumatoid arthritis can damage the joints and surrounding tissues.

Inflammation

Autoimmune diseases can cause inflammation in the body. Inflammation can be localized to a particular area, such as the joints in rheumatoid arthritis, or it can be more widespread, such as the inflammation caused by lupus.

Fatigue

Fatigue is a common symptom of autoimmune diseases. It can be caused by inflammation, organ or tissue damage, or the body’s response to the autoimmune disease.

Malnutrition

Malnutrition can occur with autoimmune diseases due to a variety of causes. Poor absorption of nutrients due to intestinal inflammation can lead to malnutrition. In addition, the body’s response to inflammation can result in a decreased appetite or an inability to digest food properly.

Infections

Autoimmune diseases can weaken the immune system, making it more difficult for the body to fight off infections. This can lead to frequent infections or recurrent infections.

Blood Disorders

Autoimmune diseases can cause a variety of blood disorders. These include anemia, a low white blood cell count, and low platelet count. These can lead to an increased risk of bleeding and infection.

Thyroid Disorders

Autoimmune diseases can affect the thyroid, leading to conditions such as hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. These can cause symptoms such as fatigue, weight gain or loss, and hair loss.

Cancer

Autoimmune diseases can increase the risk of certain types of cancer. For example, people with lupus have an increased risk of lymphoma and skin cancer. People with rheumatoid arthritis have an increased risk of lymphoma and lung cancer.