What causes sudden elevated ALT

IdeaGenius

"Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a question I have about elevated ALT levels. Recently, I had some blood work done and my ALT levels came back higher than normal, and I'm not sure why. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what do you think could have caused it? Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT (alanine aminotransferase) is an enzyme found in the liver. An elevated ALT level, also known as hypertransaminasemia, could indicate a number of different medical conditions, such as cirrhosis, hepatitis, and fatty liver. Sudden, dramatic increases in ALT levels can indicate a serious medical emergency.

Common Causes of Elevated ALT

Hepatitis
Viral or autoimmune hepatitis can cause sudden and dramatic increases in ALT levels, as the infection causes the liver to become inflamed and damaged.

Alcohol Abuse
Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to liver damage, which can cause sudden spikes in ALT levels.

Drug Use
Certain medications, such as acetaminophen, can damage the liver and cause ALT levels to spike.

Toxins
Exposure to environmental toxins can lead to liver damage and an increase in ALT levels.

Other Causes of Elevated ALT

Genetic Disorders
Certain genetic disorders, such as Wilson's Disease, can lead to an increase in ALT levels.

Cancer
Cancer can cause liver damage, leading to an increase in ALT levels.

Cholestasis
Cholestasis is a condition in which bile is prevented from leaving the liver, leading to an increase in ALT levels.

Injury or Trauma
Injury or trauma to the liver can cause ALT levels to spike.

It is important to see a doctor if you experience a sudden and dramatic increase in ALT levels. Your doctor will be able to diagnose the underlying cause and provide the appropriate treatment.