What causes odontogenic cysts

DigitalExplorer

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to learn more about odontogenic cysts and what causes them. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've done some research online, but I'm looking for more detailed information.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Odontogenic cysts are growths that form on the teeth or gums and can be caused by a variety of factors. They are most commonly associated with impacted wisdom teeth and can be caused by trauma, infection, or decay. In this article, we will explore the causes of odontogenic cysts and the symptoms associated with them.

What Causes Odontogenic Cysts?

Odontogenic cysts are caused by a variety of factors, including impactions, trauma, infection, and decay. Impacted wisdom teeth are the most common cause of odontogenic cysts. When a wisdom tooth becomes impacted, it can cause a pocket of fluid to form around the tooth, which can lead to the formation of a cyst. Trauma from an injury, such as a blow to the jaw or mouth, can also cause cysts to form. Infections, such as those caused by bacteria, can also lead to the formation of cysts. Lastly, decay in a tooth can cause cysts to develop as well.

Symptoms of Odontogenic Cysts

The primary symptom of an odontogenic cyst is a visible lump or swelling in the mouth. Depending on the size of the cyst, it can cause discomfort or pain when touched or when eating and drinking. If the cyst becomes infected, there may be redness, swelling, and tenderness in the area, as well as pain, foul breath, and a fever.

Treatments for Odontogenic Cysts

The treatment for an odontogenic cyst depends on the size and severity of the cyst. In some cases, a cyst may be able to be drained with a simple procedure, such as a needle aspiration. In more severe cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the cyst. In either case, it is important to follow up with regular visits to the dentist to ensure that the cyst does not return.

In conclusion, odontogenic cysts are growths that can form on the teeth and gums. They are usually caused by impacted wisdom teeth, trauma, infection, or decay. Symptoms of odontogenic cysts include lumps or swellings in the mouth, as well as pain, redness, and tenderness in the area. Treatment for odontogenic cysts depends on the size and severity of the cyst, and can range from simple aspiration to surgery.