What causes low RBC but normal hemoglobin

strawberry

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding what could be causing my low RBC but normal hemoglobin levels. I've been having some strange symptoms lately that have me worried and I'm not sure which direction to go in to try to get to the bottom of it. I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight or tell me what I should do next. Does anyone have any ideas or experience dealing with a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is RBC?

Red blood cells (RBCs) are the most common type of blood cell and the vertebrate body's principal means of delivering oxygen to the body tissues—via blood flow through the circulatory system. RBCs take up oxygen in the lungs or gills and release it while squeezing through the body's capillaries. The oxygen is then used by the body's cells to produce energy through a process known as respiration.

What is Hemoglobin?

Hemoglobin is a protein found in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to the body's cells. Hemoglobin is composed of four protein subunits and one heme group–a complex organic compound that binds to and carries oxygen. When the heme group binds to oxygen, the hemoglobin molecule changes shape and becomes a brighter red color.

What Causes Low RBC but Normal Hemoglobin?

Low red blood cell count (RBC) but normal hemoglobin levels (Hb) can occur due to several conditions, including anemia, polycythemia, and thalassemia. Anemia is a condition in which the number of red blood cells (RBCs) is lower than normal and the hemoglobin (Hb) level is also low. Polycythemia is a condition in which the number of RBCs is higher than normal, but the hemoglobin (Hb) level remains normal. Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder in which the body produces abnormal hemoglobin. In thalassemia, the hemoglobin (Hb) level is normal, but the number of RBCs is decreased.