What causes low RBC and high MCV

measqu

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with an issue I'm facing. I recently had some blood work done and my results showed a low red blood cell count and a high mean corpuscular volume. I'm wondering what could be causing this and if anyone has any advice or insight into this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Low red blood cell (RBC) count and high mean corpuscular volume (MCV) can be caused by a variety of medical conditions. RBCs are the most common type of blood cell and are responsible for transporting oxygen throughout the body. MCV is a measure of the average size of red blood cells and is typically used to diagnose anemia.

Causes of Low RBC Count and High MCV

1. Vitamin B12 Deficiency: A lack of vitamin B12 can cause both low RBC count and high MCV. Vitamin B12 is essential for the production of red blood cells, and a deficiency can lead to a condition known as megaloblastic anemia. Symptoms of this condition include fatigue, shortness of breath, and pale skin.

2. Folate Deficiency: A lack of folate, another B vitamin, can also lead to lower RBC counts and higher MCV. Folate is necessary for DNA synthesis and the production of red blood cells. Symptoms of folate deficiency include fatigue, loss of appetite, and pale skin.

3. Iron Deficiency: Iron is essential for the production of hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen. An iron deficiency can cause anemia, which is characterized by a low RBC count and high MCV. Symptoms of iron deficiency anemia include fatigue, headaches, and pale skin.

4. Alcohol Abuse: Chronic alcohol abuse can lead to a condition known as alcoholic liver disease, which can result in lower RBC counts and higher MCV. Symptoms of alcoholic liver disease include fatigue, abdominal pain, and jaundice.

Treatment of Low RBC Count and High MCV

Treatment of low RBC count and high MCV depends on the underlying cause. If the condition is caused by vitamin or mineral deficiencies, then treatment may involve taking supplements or adjusting dietary intake. If the condition is caused by alcohol abuse, then treatment may involve abstaining from alcohol and taking medications to help the liver recover. In some cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary to replenish red blood cells.