What causes jaw pain

measqu

"Hello everyone! I'm having some jaw pain and I'm not sure what could be causing it. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Could it be due to stress or maybe something else? I'm really hoping to get some help and advice from other users on this forum about what could be causing my jaw pain.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Common Causes of Jaw Pain

Jaw pain can be caused by a variety of medical conditions, such as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, dental problems, and injury or trauma to the jaw. Other possible causes include arthritis, infection, sinus problems, and grinding or clenching of the teeth.

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Disorder is a condition that occurs when the temporomandibular joint, which connects the lower jaw to the skull, is not functioning properly. Symptoms of TMJ disorder include pain or tenderness in the jaw, face, neck, and shoulders, as well as difficulty chewing, clicking or popping sounds when opening and closing the mouth, and a locked jaw.

Dental Problems such as cavities, abscesses, or impacted teeth can cause jaw pain. In addition, orthodontic treatments such as braces, retainers, or dentures can cause discomfort.

Injury or Trauma to the Jaw can be caused by a fall, a sports-related accident, or an automobile accident. It can also occur from repetitive strain, such as in boxing, or from the force of a blow to the jaw.

Arthritis of the jaw, or TMJ arthritis, is a type of osteoarthritis that affects the jaw joint. Symptoms may include pain, stiffness, and difficulty opening and closing the mouth.

Infection of the jaw, such as an abscess, can cause pain and swelling.

Sinus Problems such as sinusitis or rhinitis can cause pain in the jaw, as can allergies.

Grinding or Clenching of the Teeth, also known as bruxism, can cause jaw pain, headaches, and difficulty sleeping.