What causes immune-mediated hemolytic anemia

CuriousCat

"I'm looking for help understanding what causes immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. I have read some information on the topic, but I am still confused about the specifics. Does anyone have experience with this condition or know someone who does? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. This can lead to a decrease in red blood cells, which can cause anemia, fatigue, and other serious health problems.

What Is IMHA?

IMHA is an autoimmune disorder in which the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. This can lead to a decrease in red blood cells, which can cause anemia, fatigue, and other serious health problems.

What Causes IMHA?

The exact cause of IMHA is still unknown. However, it is believed to be caused by an abnormal immune response to something in the body, such as an infection, certain medications, or cancer. In some cases, a genetic predisposition may also be a factor.

What Are The Signs and Symptoms of IMHA?

The most common symptoms of IMHA are pale skin, fatigue, shortness of breath, and yellowing of the skin (jaundice). Other symptoms may include dark urine, rapid heartbeat, and dizziness.

How Is IMHA Diagnosed?

IMHA is usually diagnosed through a physical examination and a review of the patient’s medical history. A complete blood count (CBC) will help diagnose the condition. Other tests may include a reticulocyte count, a direct antiglobulin test (DAT), and a bone marrow biopsy.

How Is IMHA Treated?

Treatment for IMHA typically involves medications that suppress the immune system and/or increase the production of red blood cells. In some cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary. In severe cases, a bone marrow transplant may be an option.