What causes immediate transfusion reactions

ByteBuddy

"Hello, everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm looking for information on what causes immediate transfusion reactions. From what I understand, they are caused by either donor incompatibility or a bacterial infection, but I'm not sure if there are other factors involved.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Immediate transfusion reactions (IR) are a potentially life-threatening complication of blood transfusions. IRs are caused by the body’s immune response to foreign substances, such as antigens, that are found in donated blood. The most common cause of IRs is the presence of a mismatched blood type between the donor and the recipient. Other causes of IRs include the presence of antibodies in the recipient’s blood, or an allergic reaction to medications or additives in the donated blood.

Risk Factors for Immediate Transfusion Reactions

The risk of an IR is highest when the donor and recipient have incompatible blood types. Blood type incompatibility can occur when the donor and recipient have different red blood cell antigens. These antigens can cause an immune response, leading to an IR.

Another risk factor for IR is the presence of antibodies in the recipient’s blood. These antibodies are produced by the body’s immune system and can react to antigens present in the donated blood. This type of reaction is known as an “allergic” response, and can lead to an IR.

Finally, an IR can also be caused by an allergic reaction to medications or additives in the donated blood. This type of reaction is known as a “medication-induced” reaction, and can be caused by a variety of different medications or additives found in donated blood.

Preventing Immediate Transfusion Reactions

The best way to prevent an IR is to ensure that the donor and recipient have compatible blood types. Blood typing tests are performed on both the donor and recipient prior to the transfusion to ensure that the blood types are compatible.

Additionally, it is important to be aware of any medications or additives present in the donated blood. If the recipient is known to have an allergy to any of these medications or additives, the transfusion should not be performed.

Finally, it is important to be aware of any antibodies present in the recipient’s blood. If the recipient has any known antibodies, the donor’s blood should be tested for the presence of the same antigen. If the antigen is present in the donor’s blood, the transfusion should not be performed.