What causes high LDH and ferritin

measqu

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this question. I recently had some blood work done and my LDH and ferritin levels were both high. I'm wondering what could be causing this. Are there any medical conditions or lifestyle factors that could be the reason for this? Is there any advice or information anyone could provide on how to potentially address this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
LDH

What Causes High LDH?

Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) is an enzyme that is found in almost all body tissues. It is used to measure cellular damage and stress in the body. High LDH levels in the blood can indicate a wide variety of medical conditions, including infections, autoimmune diseases, and cancers.

Some of the most common causes of high LDH levels include:

1. Anemia: Anemia is a condition in which the body does not have enough healthy red blood cells. Red blood cells contain hemoglobin, which carries oxygen throughout the body. When there are not enough red blood cells, the body compensates by producing more LDH.

2. Inflammation: Inflammation is the body’s normal response to injury or infection. The increased activity of the immune system leads to the production of more LDH.

3. Liver Disease: Liver disease, such as cirrhosis, can lead to high levels of LDH.

4. Kidney Disease: Kidney disease can also lead to high levels of LDH.

Ferritin

What Causes High Ferritin?

Ferritin is a protein found in the body that stores iron. High levels of ferritin can indicate a variety of medical conditions, including anemia, inflammation, liver and kidney disease, and certain types of cancer.

Some of the most common causes of high ferritin levels include:

1. Iron Overload: Iron overload, also known as hemochromatosis, is a condition in which the body absorbs too much iron from the diet. This leads to a buildup of iron in the body, which can cause high ferritin levels.

2. Inflammation: Inflammation can lead to increased production of ferritin.

3. Liver Disease: Liver disease, such as cirrhosis, can also lead to high ferritin levels.

4. Kidney Disease: Kidney disease can also cause high ferritin levels.