What causes falsely elevated ALT

strawberry

"Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help understanding what can cause falsely elevated ALT levels. I recently had a blood test and my ALT levels were higher than normal.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT (alanine aminotransferase) is an enzyme found in the liver. It is responsible for breaking down proteins, fats, and carbohydrates into energy. When the liver is damaged or inflamed, it releases higher levels of ALT into the bloodstream, resulting in a falsely elevated ALT (also known as a false positive).

Common Causes of Falsely Elevated ALT

There are several possible causes of falsely elevated ALT, including:

Infection: Viral, bacterial, and other infections can cause the liver to become inflamed and release increased levels of ALT.

Drugs or Medications: Certain drugs or medications can cause the liver to become inflamed and release increased levels of ALT.

Alcohol: Heavy alcohol use can cause the liver to become inflamed and release increased levels of ALT.

Fatty Liver Disease: Fatty liver disease is a condition where the liver accumulates too much fat, which can cause inflammation and release increased levels of ALT.

Autoimmune Disease: Autoimmune diseases, such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, can cause the body's immune system to attack healthy tissue, resulting in inflammation and increased levels of ALT.

Diagnosis and Treatment

The first step in diagnosing and treating falsely elevated ALT is to visit a doctor. A doctor will likely order a blood test to measure the levels of ALT in the blood. If the results show elevated levels of ALT, the doctor may order additional tests to determine the cause.

Treatment of falsely elevated ALT will depend on the underlying cause. For example, if the cause is an infection, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics to treat the infection. If the cause is fatty liver disease, the doctor may recommend lifestyle changes, such as a healthier diet and regular exercise, to reduce the amount of fat in the liver. If the cause is an autoimmune disease, the doctor may prescribe medications to manage the symptoms and reduce inflammation.