What causes elevated ALT liver enzyme

DreamWeaver

I'm hoping to get some help from other forum users. I'm concerned because my doctor recently told me my ALT liver enzyme levels are elevated. I'm wondering what could be causing it.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is ALT?

ALT (alanine transaminase) is an enzyme found in the liver. It is produced mainly by the liver and also found in lesser amounts in the kidneys, heart, muscles, and pancreas. ALT is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. The level of ALT in the blood is used to detect liver damage or disease.

Causes of Elevated ALT Liver Enzyme

There are several potential causes of an elevated ALT liver enzyme. The most common cause is viral hepatitis, which is an inflammation of the liver caused by a virus. Other causes include alcohol abuse, certain medications, and autoimmune hepatitis. In some cases, the cause may not be known.

Viral Hepatitis

The most common cause of an elevated ALT liver enzyme is viral hepatitis. Viral hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver caused by a virus. The most common types of viral hepatitis are A, B, and C. Hepatitis A is usually acquired through contaminated food or water, while hepatitis B and C are typically spread through contact with the blood of an infected person. People who have been exposed to a virus should be tested for hepatitis.

Alcohol Abuse

Long-term alcohol abuse can cause liver damage, which can lead to an elevated ALT liver enzyme. Alcohol can damage the liver cells, causing them to leak ALT into the bloodstream. Heavy drinkers are more likely to experience elevated ALT levels than people who drink in moderation.

Medications

Certain medications can cause an elevated ALT liver enzyme. These medications include antibiotics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), cholesterol-lowering drugs, and antifungal medications. It is important to discuss any medications you are taking with your doctor to ensure that they are not contributing to your elevated ALT levels.

Autoimmune Hepatitis

Autoimmune hepatitis is a condition in which the body’s immune system attacks the liver, leading to inflammation and damage. This can cause an elevated ALT liver enzyme. Autoimmune hepatitis is often treated with medications that suppress the immune system.

Unknown Causes

In some cases, the cause of an elevated ALT liver enzyme may not be known. This is known as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). NAFLD is a condition in which fat accumulates in the liver and causes inflammation. This can lead to elevated ALT levels. NAFLD is often treated with lifestyle changes, such as losing weight, eating a healthier diet, and exercising.