What causes elevated ALT and AST

IdeaGenius

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some help here. I'm looking for information about what causes elevated ALT and AST levels. I'm not sure what I should do or where to turn. Does anyone have any insight or advice they can offer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What are ALT and AST?

ALT (alanine aminotransferase) and AST (aspartate aminotransferase) are two enzymes found in the body. Both enzymes are produced in the liver and are released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. Elevated levels of ALT and AST in the blood are usually a sign of liver damage or disease.

Common Causes of Elevated ALT and AST

The most common causes of elevated ALT and AST are due to liver inflammation or injury. This can be caused by viral infections, such as hepatitis A, B, and C, as well as autoimmune diseases, such as primary biliary cirrhosis and primary sclerosing cholangitis. Other causes include alcohol abuse, drug toxicity, certain medications, and metabolic disorders, such as diabetes.

Less Common Causes of Elevated ALT and AST

Less common causes of elevated ALT and AST include gallstones, heart attack, and certain types of cancer. Rare causes include Budd-Chiari syndrome, Wilson's disease, and Reye's syndrome.

When to See a Doctor

If you experience any symptoms of liver damage or disease, such as abdominal pain, fatigue, nausea, and jaundice, it is important to see a doctor right away. Your doctor will be able to order tests to check for elevated ALT and AST levels in your blood. These tests will help your doctor determine the cause of your elevated levels and the best course of treatment.