What causes anemia besides cancer

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help and advice about anemia. I know it can often be caused by cancer, but are there any other causes of anemia besides cancer? If so, what are they? Has anyone experienced anemia caused by something other than cancer? I would really appreciate any information on this topic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is Anemia?

Anemia is a condition in which a person has a lower than normal number of red blood cells, or hemoglobin, in their blood. It can result in symptoms such as fatigue, pale skin, shortness of breath, dizziness, and more.

Common Causes of Anemia Other than Cancer

Nutritional Deficiencies: Anemia can be caused by a lack of certain nutrients in the diet, such as iron, vitamin B12, and folate. People who are vegan or vegetarian may be at increased risk of developing anemia due to a lack of these nutrients in their diets.

Chronic Disease: Certain chronic diseases, such as kidney disease, can cause anemia due to the body’s inability to properly absorb or use nutrients. The body may also be unable to produce enough red blood cells in some cases.

Blood Loss: Anemia can also be caused by excessive blood loss, either from a large injury or from bleeding within the body. This can include bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract, menstruation, or surgery.

Inherited Conditions: Some forms of anemia are inherited, meaning they are passed down through families. These include sickle cell anemia and thalassemia.

Medications: Certain medications, such as chemotherapy drugs and anti-inflammatory drugs, can interfere with the body's ability to produce red blood cells.

Treatment

The treatment for anemia depends on the underlying cause. Nutritional deficiencies can be corrected with dietary changes and supplements. Blood loss can be treated by finding and stopping the source of the bleeding. Chronic diseases may require medication or lifestyle changes to manage. Inherited conditions may require medication or even blood transfusions. Finally, medications can be adjusted if they are the cause of anemia.