What causes ALT to increase

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice and help about what causes ALT to increase. I recently had a blood test done and the results showed that my ALT levels were higher than normal. I'm trying to get to the bottom of what could be causing this and am hoping to get some help from those of you who may have experienced a similar situation.

If anyone has any advice on what could be causing my ALT levels to be higher than normal, I would really appreciate some input. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT (alanine aminotransferase) is an enzyme that is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. An increased level of ALT in the blood can indicate that the liver is inflamed or injured.

Causes of Increased ALT

Alcohol: Excessive alcohol consumption can cause liver damage, leading to an increase in ALT levels.

Viruses: Viral infections such as hepatitis A, B, and C can cause the liver to become inflamed, which can lead to an increase in ALT levels.

Medications: Some medications, including acetaminophen and certain antibiotics, can cause liver damage and an increase in ALT levels.

Toxins: Exposure to certain toxins, such as mold and lead, can cause the liver to become inflamed, leading to an increase in ALT levels.

Autoimmune Diseases: Autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis can cause inflammation of the liver, leading to an increase in ALT levels.

Treatment of Increased ALT

Treatment for an increased ALT level depends on the underlying cause. Treatment may include lifestyle changes, such as reducing alcohol consumption and avoiding exposure to toxins, as well as medications to reduce inflammation or treat viral infections. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to treat liver damage.