What causes a dental cyst

CuriousCat

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I have a question about dental cysts. Does anyone know what causes them? I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience or knowledge about this topic. I'm hoping to learn more about what could be causing this issue in my mouth.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What Is a Dental Cyst?

A dental cyst is an abnormal sac filled with fluid or semi-solid material that can form in the tissues of the jawbone. It is a common type of odontogenic cyst, which means it is caused by a problem with the formation of the teeth. Dental cysts can be either benign or malignant.

What Causes a Dental Cyst?

Dental cysts are usually caused by a problem in the development of the tooth. A dental cyst can form when trapped epithelial cells are unable to develop into a tooth, and instead form a sac-like structure in the jawbone. This type of cyst is known as an odontogenic cyst.

Another type of dental cyst is a keratocystic odontogenic tumor (KCOT). KCOT is an aggressive form of odontogenic cyst that is caused by abnormal growth of the cells that form the enamel of the teeth.

Risk Factors

The risk factors for developing a dental cyst include:

• Family history of dental cysts

• Previous dental work or trauma to the jawbone

• Age (dental cysts are more common in adults)

• Certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, renal failure, or immunodeficiency syndromes

Diagnosis and Treatment

Dental cysts are typically diagnosed through imaging tests, such as a CT scan or an MRI. The cyst may need to be biopsied to determine if it is benign or malignant. Treatment depends on the type of cyst and its size. For smaller cysts, a simple procedure to remove the cyst may be sufficient. In cases of larger or more aggressive cysts, surgery may be necessary to remove the cyst and some of the surrounding tissue.