What can I eat with hemolytic anemia

CuriousCat

I was recently diagnosed with hemolytic anemia and am wondering what I should be eating to stay healthy. Can anyone offer some advice on what foods are best for someone dealing with this condition? I know that my diet will have to be tailored to the needs of my body, but I'm not sure where to start.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Dietary Guidelines for Hemolytic Anemia

Hemolytic anemia is a condition in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be replaced. People with this condition typically have to follow a special diet in order to maintain their health.

Folic Acid
Folate-rich foods are essential for people with hemolytic anemia. Folate helps the body produce new red blood cells, and helps to reduce fatigue. Foods rich in folate include leafy green vegetables, legumes, citrus fruits, and fortified grains.

Iron
Iron is essential for the production of red blood cells, and those with hemolytic anemia need to make sure they get enough. Iron-rich foods include lean red meats, seafood, spinach, lentils, and fortified grains.

Vitamins and Minerals
In addition to folate and iron, people with hemolytic anemia should make sure they get enough of other vitamins and minerals. Vitamins B-6 and B-12, copper, and zinc are especially important. Good sources of these nutrients include lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, nuts, fortified grains, and legumes.

Avoiding Certain Foods
People with hemolytic anemia should avoid foods high in saturated fat, as these can interfere with the absorption of iron. Alcohol can also interfere with the absorption of iron, so should be avoided.

By following these dietary guidelines, people with hemolytic anemia can maintain their health and help their bodies produce new red blood cells.