What can high AST and ALT levels cause

strawberry

I'm really worried about my recent lab results. I had some blood work done and my AST and ALT levels were high. I'm not sure what this could mean or what it could cause. Does anyone have any experience with this or know what high AST and ALT levels can cause? I'd really appreciate any advice or information that anyone can offer.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What are AST and ALT?

AST and ALT are two enzymes found in the liver. AST, also known as aspartate transaminase, is an enzyme involved in the conversion of protein and amino acids. ALT, also known as alanine transaminase, helps the liver break down proteins and amino acids.

What are normal levels of AST and ALT?

Normal levels of AST and ALT vary depending on the person's age, gender, and health. Generally, a normal range for AST is 5-40 units per liter (U/L) and for ALT, it is 7-56 U/L.

What can high AST and ALT levels cause?

High levels of AST and ALT can indicate damage to the liver due to either a virus, such as hepatitis, or alcoholic liver disease. High levels of AST and ALT can also be caused by other medical conditions, such as cirrhosis, pancreatitis, or a reaction to certain medications.