What can falsely elevate ALT

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm hoping some of you can help me out. I'm trying to understand what can falsely elevate ALT levels in the body. I know that ALT is an enzyme in the liver, but what else can affect its levels? Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
1. Medications

Certain medications can cause a false elevation of ALT levels. These include antibiotics, antifungals, seizure medications, and some cancer treatments. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen and naproxen can also increase ALT levels.

2. Alcohol Consumption

Excess alcohol consumption can lead to an increase in ALT levels. Alcohol is broken down in the liver and can cause inflammation and liver damage. This can lead to an elevation in ALT levels.

3. Obesity

Obesity is associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). This can lead to an elevation in ALT levels.

4. Infections

Viral infections such as hepatitis, cytomegalovirus, and Epstein-Barr can cause an increase in ALT levels. Other infections, such as pyogenic infections and certain parasites, can also increase ALT levels.