What can elevated ALT and AST mean

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'm hoping you can help me. I recently had some blood work done and my ALT and AST levels were elevated. Does anyone have any idea what this could mean? I'm worried something is wrong and I'm hoping to get some advice. Has anyone else experienced this before? If so, what did you do? Any advice would be so helpful.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT and AST are two common enzymes that are produced by the liver. They can indicate the presence of liver damage or disease. Elevated levels of these enzymes can be a sign of a serious medical condition that requires medical attention.

What Are ALT and AST?

ALT and AST are two enzymes that are produced by the liver. ALT stands for alanine aminotransferase, and AST stands for aspartate aminotransferase. ALT and AST are released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged or diseased.

What Causes Elevated ALT and AST?

Elevated ALT and AST can be caused by a variety of conditions, including liver disease, viral hepatitis, alcohol abuse, and certain medications. In some cases, the cause may not be known.

What Are the Symptoms of Elevated ALT and AST?

Elevated ALT and AST may not cause any symptoms. However, some people with elevated levels may experience fatigue, abdominal pain, jaundice, and dark urine.

How Are Elevated ALT and AST Diagnosed?

Elevated ALT and AST can be detected through a blood test. Your doctor may order additional tests to determine the cause of the elevated enzymes.

How Are Elevated ALT and AST Treated?

Treatment for elevated ALT and AST will depend on the underlying cause. If the cause is liver disease, your doctor may recommend lifestyle changes, medications, or other treatments. If the cause is viral hepatitis, your doctor may recommend antiviral medications.