What can cause slightly elevated AST

DigitalExplorer

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'm looking for some help.
I recently had some blood tests done and the results showed that my AST (aspartate aminotransferase) levels are slightly elevated. I'm wondering what could be causing this. I'm looking for any advice or tips on what to do. Has anyone else experienced this before? If so, what did you do to manage it?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is AST?

AST, or Aspartate Aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the body's cells. It is usually found in the liver, heart, muscle, and other tissues. It is important for breaking down proteins and other substances into energy. A slightly elevated AST level can indicate liver damage, heart problems, or other health issues.

What Causes a Slightly Elevated AST Level?

There are several possible causes of a slightly elevated AST level. These include:

• Alcohol Abuse: Excessive alcohol consumption can damage the liver and cause an increase in AST levels.

• Viral Infections: Certain viruses, such as hepatitis A, B, and C, can cause an elevation in AST levels.

• Medications: Some medications, such as anti-inflammatories and antibiotics, can also cause an increase in AST levels.

• Liver Disease: Liver diseases, such as cirrhosis, fatty liver, and hepatitis, can cause an increase in AST levels.

How is AST Level Monitored?

A doctor can use a blood test to measure AST levels. Depending on the results, further tests may be recommended to determine the cause of the elevated AST level. Treatment will then depend on the underlying cause.

Conclusion

Slightly elevated AST levels can indicate a number of health issues, ranging from alcohol abuse to viral infections to liver disease. It is important to have an AST level monitored by a doctor in order to determine the underlying cause and the best course of treatment.