What can cause jaw pain

measqu

I'm suffering from jaw pain and I'm not sure what the cause is. Does anyone have any ideas? I've been to the doctor and they weren't able to diagnose the cause. I'm hoping someone here has experienced similar pain and can point me in the right direction. I'm really not sure what to do next and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Causes of Jaw Pain

Jaw pain can have a variety of causes, ranging from dental issues to TMJ disorders. Common causes of jaw pain include:

Toothache: Toothache is a common cause of jaw pain. It can be caused by cavities, tooth abscesses, or a cracked or broken tooth.

TMJ Disorders: Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders are a common cause of jaw pain. These disorders occur when the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) becomes inflamed or damaged, causing pain and discomfort in the jaw. Symptoms of TMJ disorder include facial pain, difficulty opening and closing the mouth, and a clicking or popping sound when moving the jaw.

Injury: Jaw pain can also be caused by an injury such as a fractured jaw or a dislocated jaw. Trauma to the head and neck can also cause jaw pain.

Infection: Infections such as sinus infections, tonsillitis, and ear infections can cause jaw pain. Additionally, certain bacteria and viruses can cause jaw pain.

Stress: Stress and anxiety can cause jaw pain and tension in the jaw muscles. This type of jaw pain is often referred to as tension jaw or psychogenic jaw pain.

Neurological Disorders: Neurological disorders such as trigeminal neuralgia and Bell’s palsy can cause jaw pain.

Treatment

The treatment for jaw pain depends on the underlying cause. If the cause of the jaw pain is an infection, toothache, or TMJ disorder, the treatment may involve antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications, or pain medications. If the jaw pain is caused by an injury or neurological disorder, physical therapy or surgery may be necessary.

In some cases, jaw pain can be relieved with home remedies such as applying a hot or cold compress, eating softer foods, and avoiding certain jaw movements. Relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation can also help to reduce stress and tension in the jaw.