What blood tests show chronic inflammation

IdeaGenius

"Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help on understanding what blood tests show chronic inflammation. I heard that there are certain tests that can detect it, but I'm not sure what they are or how to go about getting one.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Blood Tests for Chronic Inflammation

When diagnosing and monitoring chronic inflammation, doctors often use blood tests to measure levels of inflammatory markers in the body. These tests can help assess the extent and severity of the inflammation and how well any treatments are working.

C-reactive protein (CRP) is one of the most commonly used tests to measure inflammation. It is a protein produced by the liver in response to inflammation. High levels of CRP can indicate the presence of an infection, autoimmune disorder, or other inflammatory condition.

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) is another common test to measure inflammation. It measures the rate at which red blood cells settle to the bottom of a test tube over time. High levels of ESR can indicate the presence of inflammation.

Interleukin-6 (IL-6) is a type of cytokine, which is a molecule released by cells in response to inflammation. High levels of IL-6 can indicate the presence of inflammation.

Fibrinogen is a protein made in the liver that helps to form blood clots. High levels of fibrinogen can indicate the presence of inflammation.

White blood cell count (WBC) is a test that measures the number of white blood cells in a sample of blood. White blood cells are part of the body's immune system and are responsible for fighting infection. High levels of WBC can indicate the presence of inflammation or infection.

By measuring the levels of these markers, doctors can better understand the extent and severity of the inflammation and how well any treatments are working.