What blood test shows leukemia

CuriousCat

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help from fellow forum users. I'm trying to learn more about what blood test can show if someone has leukemia or not. Does anyone have any experience with this topic or know what blood test can be used to diagnose leukemia? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Blood Tests for Leukemia

A blood test can help diagnose leukemia and determine the type. The most common blood tests used to diagnose leukemia are:

• Complete Blood Count (CBC): This test measures the amount of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets in the body. It can detect abnormal cells, such as leukemia cells, that may be present in the blood.

• Differential Count: This test takes a closer look at the types of white blood cells in the body. It can show if the number of one type is higher than normal, which may suggest leukemia.

• Immunophenotyping: This test can help determine the type of leukemia. It looks at the surface markers on the leukemia cells to see how they differ from healthy cells.

• Cytogenetic testing: This test looks at the chromosomes of the cells to see if there are any changes that could indicate leukemia.

• Lumbar puncture: A lumbar puncture is a procedure used to take a sample of the fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. This fluid is tested to see if it contains any leukemia cells.

• Bone marrow biopsy: This procedure involves taking a sample of bone marrow from the hip bone. The sample is then tested to see if it contains any leukemia cells.

These tests can help diagnose leukemia and determine the type, so that the doctor can plan the best treatment for the patient.