What blood test should be done for allergies

strawberry

Hey everyone - I'm looking for advice on what blood test should be done for allergies. I'm trying to figure out what tests I should be asking my doctor for and I'd love to hear from anyone who has any experience with this. Can anyone suggest which blood tests would be most helpful in diagnosing allergies? Any advice or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergy Blood Tests

Allergy blood tests, also known as Radioallergosorbent (RAST) tests, measure the levels of immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies in the blood. IgE is an antibody associated with allergic reactions. An allergy blood test is used to identify allergies to specific substances by measuring the levels of IgE antibodies to those substances.

IgE antibodies are produced in response to allergens, such as pollen, pet dander, food, or dust. IgE antibodies attach themselves to cells in the body and cause the release of histamine and other chemicals that cause an allergic reaction. Allergy blood tests can be used to identify which allergens are causing a person's symptoms and to monitor the effectiveness of allergy treatments.

Skin Prick Tests

Skin prick tests are used to identify specific allergies. During a skin prick test, a small amount of the allergen is placed on the skin. The skin is then pricked with a needle, which allows the allergen to enter the skin. If a person is allergic to the allergen, they will experience a raised, red, itchy bump at the site of the test.

Elimination Diets

Elimination diets are used to identify food allergies. During an elimination diet, a person eliminates all potential allergens from their diet for a period of time. After the elimination period, the potential allergens are then reintroduced one at a time. If a person experiences an allergic reaction after reintroducing a particular food, then they are likely allergic to that food.