What blood test results are hemolytic

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I recently had my blood tested and I'm trying to understand the results. I've been told that some of the results could be hemolytic, but I'm not sure what that means. Can anyone explain what blood test results are hemolytic? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a medical condition where red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be replaced. To determine if someone has hemolytic anemia, doctors will often order a blood test. The results of this test can be used to diagnose the condition and to monitor a patient’s progress.

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

The most commonly used test to diagnose hemolytic anemia is the complete blood count (CBC). This test measures the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. It also measures hemoglobin, hematocrit, and other indicators of red blood cell health. A CBC can help determine if someone has too few red blood cells (anemia), too many white blood cells (leukocytosis) or a low platelet count.

Reticulocyte Count

A reticulocyte count is a test used to measure the production of new red blood cells. It is typically ordered if the CBC shows that someone has anemia. It can help determine the cause of the anemia, whether it is due to a decrease in red blood cell production or an increase in red blood cell destruction.

Unconjugated Bilirubin Test

The unconjugated bilirubin test is a measure of the breakdown of hemoglobin. It is typically ordered if the CBC and reticulocyte count indicate that someone has hemolytic anemia. High levels of unconjugated bilirubin can indicate that red blood cells are being destroyed faster than they can be replaced.

Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) Test

The lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) test is a measure of the enzyme that is released when red blood cells are destroyed. It can be used to confirm a diagnosis of hemolytic anemia. High levels of LDH can indicate that red blood cells are being destroyed at an accelerated rate.

Direct Antiglobulin Test (DAT)

The direct antiglobulin test (DAT) is a measure of antibodies that are attached to red blood cells. It is typically ordered if the CBC, reticulocyte count, unconjugated bilirubin, and LDH tests indicate that someone has hemolytic anemia. It can help determine the cause of the anemia, whether it is due to an autoimmune disorder, a deficiency in red blood cell production, or a drug reaction.