What blood test confirms pancreatic cancer

ByteBuddy

"Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on what blood test can confirm pancreatic cancer. I've been reading up on it and I'm still a bit confused. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any reliable tests that can be used to positively diagnose pancreatic cancer? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle Forum: What Blood Test Confirms Pancreatic Cancer?

Pancreatic cancer is a serious and potentially fatal disease. Diagnosing it in its early stages is critical for the best chance of successful treatment. To confirm a diagnosis, doctors usually use imaging tests, such as CT scans or MRIs. However, a blood test is often used to determine if pancreatic cancer is present.

CA 19-9 Blood Test

The CA 19-9 blood test is the most commonly used test to diagnose pancreatic cancer. The test measures the levels of a protein called carbohydrate antigen 19-9, which is produced by the pancreas. People with pancreatic cancer often have elevated levels of CA 19-9 in their blood.

However, the test isn't foolproof. Not everyone with pancreatic cancer will have elevated CA 19-9 levels, and some people without the disease may have high levels. Therefore, the CA 19-9 test is typically used in combination with other tests to confirm a diagnosis.

CEA Blood Test

Another blood test used to diagnose pancreatic cancer is a CEA test. This test measures the levels of a protein called carcinoembryonic antigen, which is produced by the pancreas and other organs. Like the CA 19-9 test, elevated levels of CEA in the blood may indicate the presence of pancreatic cancer.

However, like the CA 19-9 test, the CEA test isn't always accurate. People with other types of cancer may have elevated levels of CEA, and some people with pancreatic cancer may have normal levels. Therefore, the CEA test is usually used in combination with other tests to confirm a diagnosis.

Conclusion

Blood tests, such as the CA 19-9 and CEA tests, can be used to help diagnose pancreatic cancer. However, these tests are not always accurate, so they are usually used in combination with other tests to confirm a diagnosis. If you have any concerns about pancreatic cancer, it's important to talk to your doctor.