What bacteria does azithromycin not treat

ByteBuddy

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding what bacteria azithromycin does not treat. I've heard that it is an effective antibiotic for a range of bacterial infections but I'm not sure what specific bacteria it is not effective against. Can anyone offer any advice or share their knowledge on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Azithromycin is an antibiotic that is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. While it is effective against a wide range of bacteria, there are certain types of bacteria that it does not work against.

Gram-Negative Bacteria

Azithromycin is not effective against gram-negative bacteria. Gram-negative bacteria have a thicker outer cell wall that makes them more difficult to penetrate. Gram-negative bacteria include: Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Shigella, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

Mycobacteria

Azithromycin is also not effective against mycobacteria. Mycobacteria are a group of bacteria that have a very thick outer cell wall and are resistant to many antibiotics. Examples of mycobacteria include Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which causes tuberculosis, and Mycobacterium avium, which can cause a variety of respiratory infections.

Other Bacteria

Azithromycin is also not effective against some other types of bacteria, including Enterococcus and Listeria. It is important to note that azithromycin is only effective against certain types of bacteria and is not a broad-spectrum antibiotic. It should only be used to treat infections caused by bacteria that are known to be susceptible to the drug.