What autoimmune disease is very rare

DigitalExplorer

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm hoping to get some help from the community with a question I have. Does anyone know what autoimmune disease is very rare? I'm interested in learning more about autoimmune diseases, but I'm wondering if there are any that are particularly rare. Any information or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune diseases are conditions in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks its own cells and organs. Although there are more than 80 types of autoimmune diseases, some are much rarer than others.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that causes chronic inflammation in the joints and surrounding tissues. It is the most common type of autoimmune disease, affecting around 1.3 million Americans.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a progressive autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system. It is estimated that around 400,000 people in the United States have MS.

Type 1 Diabetes

Type 1 diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune disorder that affects the body's ability to produce insulin. It usually occurs in childhood or adolescence, and affects about 1.25 million Americans.

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a chronic autoimmune disorder that affects multiple organs and tissues. It is estimated that around 1.5 million Americans have SLE.

Graves' Disease

Graves' disease is an autoimmune disorder that affects the thyroid gland. It is estimated to affect around 200,000 Americans.

Sjogren's Syndrome

Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disorder that affects the body's exocrine glands, causing dryness in the eyes, mouth, and other parts of the body. It is estimated to affect around 4 million Americans.

Myasthenia Gravis

Myasthenia gravis is a rare autoimmune disease that affects the muscles and nerves. It is estimated to affect around 60,000 Americans.

Polymyositis

Polymyositis is an autoimmune disorder that affects the muscles, causing weakness and wasting. It is estimated to affect around 20,000 Americans.