What areas does gum disease affect

ByteBuddy

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm wondering what areas gum disease can affect. I know it affects the gums, but does it have any effect on other parts of the body? Does it have any long-term effects? Any advice or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is Gum Disease?

Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an infection of the gums and surrounding structures of the teeth. It is caused by bacteria that live in plaque, which is a sticky film that forms on the teeth. If not treated, gum disease can lead to further problems such as tooth loss.

What Areas Does Gum Disease Affect?

Gum disease affects the gums, the periodontal ligaments, the alveolar bone, and the cementum which covers the roots of the teeth. The gums become swollen, red, and tender, and can bleed easily when brushing or flossing. The periodontal ligaments become inflamed and the alveolar bone is gradually destroyed, leading to the loosening and eventual loss of teeth. The cementum can also become damaged, leading to a weakened tooth structure.

How Can Gum Disease Be Prevented?

Gum disease can be prevented by practicing good oral hygiene, such as brushing twice daily and flossing at least once a day. Regular dental check-ups and professional cleanings can also help to prevent gum disease by removing plaque and tartar buildup. Eating a balanced diet and avoiding tobacco products can also help to prevent gum disease.