What are two indicators of fetal distress

strawberry

Hello everyone! I'm a first-time mom and I'm looking for help understanding two indicators of fetal distress. Can anyone offer me some insight? I've read online about possible signs such as decreased fetal movement, abnormal fetal heart rate, and decreased oxygen levels in the umbilical cord, but I'm looking for more information. Has anyone experienced this before and can offer some advice? Any help would be appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Indicators of Fetal Distress

Fetal distress is a condition in which a fetus is not receiving enough oxygen during labor and delivery. It can be caused by a number of factors, including a prolapsed umbilical cord, an infection in the mother or baby, or a lack of amniotic fluid. It is a serious condition that can cause permanent damage to the baby, so it is important to recognize the signs of fetal distress and seek medical attention immediately.

Two indicators of fetal distress are changes in the fetal heart rate, and a decrease in the amount of amniotic fluid.

Changes in the fetal heart rate can be an indication of fetal distress. The normal fetal heart rate is between 110 and 160 beats per minute, and any significant deviation from this range can indicate a problem. A decrease in the fetal heart rate, or bradycardia, can indicate that the fetus is not receiving enough oxygen. An increase in the heart rate, or tachycardia, can indicate that the fetus is in distress.

Decreased amniotic fluid can also be a sign of fetal distress. The amount of amniotic fluid present in the uterus normally increases until around the 35th week of pregnancy, and then it remains the same until delivery. A decrease in the amount of amniotic fluid, or oligohydramnios, can indicate that the fetus is not receiving enough oxygen. It can also be a sign of an infection, or a blockage in the umbilical cord.

If either of these two indicators of fetal distress is present, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. It is also important to monitor the mother and baby closely during labor and delivery to ensure that the baby is not in distress.