What are three 3 worst reactions that can occur with a blood transfusion

measqu

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding the three worst reactions that can occur with a blood transfusion. I recently heard about a friend of mine who had a negative reaction to a blood transfusion, and now I'm curious about the potential risks associated with them. Can anyone explain what the three worst reactions are that can occur with a blood transfusion? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Allergic Reactions
Allergic reactions are one of the three worst reactions that can occur with a blood transfusion. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to a blood transfusion can include hives, itching, flushing, a feeling of warmth, a rash, swelling, difficulty breathing, and a drop in blood pressure. It is important to report any of these symptoms to the healthcare provider immediately.

Febrile Nonhemolytic Transfusion Reaction (FNHTR)
Febrile nonhemolytic transfusion reactions (FNHTR) occur in up to 10% of transfusions. This reaction is caused by the body's reaction to proteins in the donor's blood that are foreign to the recipient's body. Symptoms of FNHTR can include fever, headache, chills, and nausea. It is important to report any of these symptoms to the healthcare provider immediately.

Acute Hemolytic Transfusion Reaction (AHTR)
Acute hemolytic transfusion reactions (AHTR) are the most serious reaction that can occur with a blood transfusion. This reaction is caused by the destruction of the red blood cells that are transfused. Symptoms of AHTR can include fever, back pain, chest pain, shortness of breath, and low blood pressure. It is important to report any of these symptoms to the healthcare provider immediately.