What are the urine findings in pancreatitis

measqu

I'm looking for help understanding the urine findings in pancreatitis. I recently had a family member diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and the doctor mentioned something about the urine findings that could be indicative of the condition. Can anyone explain what these findings are and how they can be used to diagnose and monitor the disease? I'd really appreciate any advice or insights about this topic.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Urine Findings in Pancreatitis:

Urobilinogen Levels

Urobilinogen is a breakdown product of bilirubin, which is a breakdown product of heme from hemoglobin. Urobilinogen levels in the urine are typically elevated in pancreatitis. High levels of urobilinogen may indicate a blockage of the bile ducts or impaired liver function.

Urine Protein Levels

Pancreatitis can cause an increase in protein levels in the urine. High levels of protein in the urine may indicate kidney damage or a blockage of the bile ducts.

White Blood Cells

White blood cells may be present in the urine of individuals with pancreatitis. This is due to inflammation of the pancreas, which can cause the white blood cells to enter the urine.

Glucose Levels

High levels of glucose in the urine may indicate diabetes or a blockage of the bile ducts.

Ketones

Ketones may be present in the urine of individuals with pancreatitis. This is due to a lack of insulin, which can cause the body to use fat as a source of energy. The body then produces ketones, which can be detected in the urine.