What are the types of warm antibody autoimmune hemolytic anemia

CuriousCat

Hi everyone,

I recently learned about a condition called warm antibody autoimmune hemolytic anemia. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and explain the different types of this condition. Could someone please provide me with some information on the various types of warm antibody autoimmune hemolytic anemia?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Types of Warm Antibody Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

Warm antibody autoimmune hemolytic anemia (WAIHA) is a rare but potentially serious condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. The destruction of red blood cells can lead to anemia, a condition in which the body does not have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen efficiently throughout the body. There are several types of WAIHA, each with different causes and symptoms.

Primary WAIHA

Primary WAIHA is the most common type of WAIHA, accounting for about two-thirds of all cases. It is caused by the body’s production of autoantibodies, which are proteins that attack the body’s own cells and tissues. In primary WAIHA, the autoantibodies target the red blood cells, leading to destruction and anemia. Primary WAIHA can be caused by a number of factors, including genetic predisposition, infections, and certain medications.

Secondary WAIHA

Secondary WAIHA is the second most common type of WAIHA, accounting for about one-third of all cases. It is caused by external factors, such as medications, infections, autoimmune disorders, and other medical conditions. In secondary WAIHA, the body produces autoantibodies that target and destroy red blood cells.

Cold Agglutinin Disease

Cold agglutinin disease (CAD) is a type of WAIHA caused by autoantibodies that are triggered by cold temperatures. These autoantibodies target and destroy red blood cells, leading to anemia. CAD is typically caused by infections, such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae, but can also be caused by certain medications and chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria (PNH)

Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) is a rare type of WAIHA caused by mutations of the PIG-A gene. PNH is characterized by the destruction of red blood cells, which can lead to anemia. PNH can also cause a range of other symptoms, including thrombosis (blood clots), fatigue, and abdominal pain.

Evans Syndrome

Evans Syndrome is a rare type of WAIHA caused by autoantibodies that target both red blood cells and platelets. This can lead to both anemia and thrombocytopenia (low platelet count). Evans Syndrome is typically caused by infections, medications, or other autoimmune disorders.