What are the types of immune hemolytic anemia

strawberry

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I recently got diagnosed with immune hemolytic anemia and I'm trying to understand more about it. Can someone please help me understand what the different types of immune hemolytic anemia are? I've read a few articles online but I'm still not sure about the different types.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Immune hemolytic anemia (IHA) is a type of anemia caused by the body's own immune system attacking and destroying its own red blood cells (RBCs). It can be caused by a variety of different conditions, including infections, autoimmune diseases, and certain medications. IHA can have a wide range of symptoms, from mild fatigue to life-threatening organ failure. Knowing the different types of IHA is important in order to diagnose and treat the condition correctly.

Types of Immune Hemolytic Anemia

There are two main types of IHA: primary and secondary.

Primary IHA occurs when the body produces antibodies that specifically target and destroy its own RBCs. This type of IHA is usually caused by a genetic defect that affects the body's ability to recognize its own RBCs. Primary IHA is further divided into two categories: inherited and acquired. Inherited primary IHA is passed down from one generation to the next, while acquired primary IHA is caused by a new mutation or alteration in the body.

Secondary IHA is caused by an external factor, such as an infection, autoimmune disorder, or certain medications. This type of IHA is usually more severe than primary IHA, and the symptoms are often more pronounced. Secondary IHA can also be divided into two categories: autoimmune and infectious. Autoimmune secondary IHA is caused by the body's own immune system attacking its own RBCs, while infectious secondary IHA is caused by an infection, such as a virus, bacteria, or parasite.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Immune Hemolytic Anemia

Diagnosing IHA typically involves a physical exam, blood tests, and sometimes imaging tests. Treatment will depend on the type and severity of the condition, but may include medications to suppress the immune system, antibiotics to treat an infection, or a blood transfusion to replace lost RBCs.