What are the two types of asphyxia Neonatorum

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm a medical student and I'm writing a paper on asphyxia Neonatorum and I'm having trouble understanding the two types. Can anyone explain what the two types are and how they are different from each other? Any advice or information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Asphyxia Neonatorum, also known as birth asphyxia, is a serious condition that can occur when a newborn baby does not receive enough oxygen before, during, or after birth. It is a leading cause of infant mortality and morbidity around the world. Asphyxia Neonatorum can be divided into two main types: Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) and Perinatal Asphyxia.

Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE)

Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) is a type of asphyxia that is caused by a lack of oxygen to the baby's brain during or shortly after birth. This can happen if the baby is not getting enough oxygen in the womb or if there is a problem with the umbilical cord during birth. Symptoms of HIE may include seizures, poor muscle tone, breathing difficulties, poor feeding, and an abnormal heart rate.

Perinatal Asphyxia

Perinatal Asphyxia is a type of asphyxia that occurs when the baby is deprived of oxygen before, during, or shortly after birth. This can happen if the baby is not getting enough oxygen in the womb or if there is a problem with the placenta or umbilical cord during birth. Symptoms of perinatal asphyxia may include low blood pressure, poor feeding, weak or absent reflexes, and difficulty breathing. Babies who experience perinatal asphyxia may also have an increased risk of developing neurological problems, such as cerebral palsy, in the future.