What are the two phases of allergy

strawberry

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding the two phases of allergy. I know they have something to do with the body's immune response, but I'm not sure of the specifics. Can anyone explain what these two phases are and how they are involved in an allergic reaction? Any help would be much appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Allergy Phases

Allergies occur when a person's immune system reacts to what is normally a harmless substance, such as pollen, pet dander, or dust. This reaction can cause a range of symptoms, including sneezing, coughing, runny nose, and watery eyes. Allergies are divided into two distinct phases: the IgE-mediated phase and the late-phase reaction.

IgE-Mediated Phase: This phase is also known as the immediate hypersensitivity reaction. It occurs within minutes of exposure to an allergen and is the result of the release of immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies. Symptoms include sneezing, coughing, wheezing, and swelling of the airways.

Late-Phase Reaction: This phase occurs several hours after the initial IgE-mediated reaction. It is caused by the release of other inflammatory substances by cells, such as mast cells and eosinophils. Symptoms may include asthmatic wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.