What are the three types of hemolysis

DigitalExplorer

I'm a bit confused about hemolysis and I could use some help understanding it. Can anyone explain what the three types of hemolysis are? I'm hoping to learn more about the subject and would really appreciate any advice.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle 1: Complete Hemolysis

Complete hemolysis is the complete destruction of red blood cells, resulting in the release of hemoglobin. It is a type of cell lysis where the cell membrane is completely destroyed, resulting in the release of all cell contents. This type of hemolysis is usually caused by exposure to strong acids or bases.

Subtitle 2: Partial Hemolysis

Partial hemolysis is a type of cell lysis where the cell membrane is only partially destroyed. This allows some of the cell contents to remain within the cell membrane, while other components are released. This type of hemolysis is usually caused by exposure to weak acids or bases.

Subtitle 3: Immune Hemolysis

Immune hemolysis is a type of cell lysis where the cell membrane is destroyed as a result of an immune response. This type of hemolysis is usually caused by an autoimmune response, where the body's own immune system attacks and destroys red blood cells. This type of hemolysis can also be caused by exposure to certain drugs or medications, or by exposure to certain types of bacteria or viruses.