What are the three transfusion reactions

strawberry

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I recently heard about transfusion reactions and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the three transfusion reactions. Are they common? What should I look out for?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Transfusion reactions are adverse reactions that occur when a person receives a blood transfusion. There are three major types of transfusion reactions: acute, delayed, and allergic/anaphylactic reactions.

Acute Transfusion Reactions

Acute transfusion reactions are usually caused by the presence of unexpected antibodies in the transfused blood. These reactions are typically mild and include fever, chills, urticaria, and sometimes nausea, vomiting, and hypotension.

Delayed Transfusion Reactions

Delayed transfusion reactions occur when the body recognizes foreign antigens in the transfused blood, leading to the production of antibodies to those antigens. These reactions may take several days to become apparent and can last for weeks. Symptoms of delayed transfusion reactions may include fever, chills, malaise, fatigue, and joint pain.

Allergic/Anaphylactic Reactions

Allergic/anaphylactic reactions are the most severe type of transfusion reaction and occur when the body's immune system reacts to antigens in the transfused blood. Symptoms of these reactions can include urticaria, hypotension, wheezing, and shock. These reactions can be life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.