What are the three primary social theories regarding criminal and deviant behavior

CuriousCat

Hello everyone!

I am researching criminal and deviant behavior and was wondering if anyone could help me with understanding the three primary social theories regarding this topic. I have heard of Social Control Theory, Differential Association Theory and Labelling Theory, but I am not sure of the specifics. Could someone please explain to me what each of these theories mean and how they are related to criminal and deviant behavior?

I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle Forum: Social Theories of Criminal and Deviant Behavior

Social theories of criminal and deviant behavior seek to explain why certain individuals and groups engage in criminal and deviant activities. There are three primary social theories that are commonly used in the study of crime and deviance: conflict theory, strain theory, and labeling theory.

Conflict Theory

Conflict theory is based on the idea that society is composed of different groups that compete with each other for resources and power. This competition can lead to the use of criminal and deviant behavior as a means of gaining an advantage. Conflict theorists believe that criminal and deviant behavior is often used by the disadvantaged to gain access to resources and power that they would not otherwise have.

Strain Theory

Strain theory views criminal and deviant behavior as a result of an individual's inability to achieve socially accepted goals due to limited resources. Individuals who are unable to achieve these goals may turn to criminal and deviant behavior as a way to achieve them. Strain theory argues that criminal and deviant behavior is a result of an individual's inability to achieve success through legitimate means.

Labeling Theory

Labeling theory is based on the idea that criminal and deviant behavior is the result of an individual being labeled as such by society. Labeling theory argues that individuals who are labeled as “deviant” or “criminal” are more likely to engage in criminal or deviant behavior as a result of this label. Labeling theory suggests that society’s reaction to criminal or deviant behavior can cause individuals to internalize this label and engage in further criminal or deviant behavior.