What are the three most common blood transfusion reaction

measqu

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help with a question I have about blood transfusion reactions. What are the three most common blood transfusion reactions? I'm looking for information about reactions that can occur from receiving a blood transfusion. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Blood Transfusion Reactions

Blood transfusions are a common medical procedure in which blood or blood products are given from one person to another. Although most transfusions are successful, there are potential risks and reactions that can occur. The three most common transfusion reactions are:

Acute Hemolytic Reaction: This is the most serious reaction that can occur during a transfusion. It is caused by the transfused blood being incompatible with the recipient's blood type. This can cause the recipient to have a severe reaction, resulting in fever, chills, chest pain, and low blood pressure.

Febrile Non-Hemolytic Reaction: This is a milder reaction that is more common than an acute hemolytic reaction. It is caused by the recipient's body reacting to the donor's white blood cells and platelets. Symptoms may include fever, chills, nausea, and rash.

Delayed Hemolytic Reaction: This is a reaction that occurs a few weeks after the transfusion. It is usually caused by the recipient's immune system attacking the donor's red blood cells. Symptoms can include fever, fatigue, pale skin, and jaundice (yellowing of the skin).

If any of these reactions occur, the recipient should seek immediate medical attention. Blood transfusions can be a life-saving procedure, but it is important to be aware of the potential risks and reactions that can occur.