What are the three major theories of delinquency

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I have a question about delinquency that I'm hoping somebody can help me with. What are the three major theories of delinquency? I've heard of a few theories, but I'm unsure of which are the most prominent.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: The Three Major Theories of Delinquency

Delinquency is a broad term that encompasses a wide range of illegal activities, ranging from minor offences such as shoplifting to major crimes such as murder. There are multiple theories that attempt to explain why individuals engage in delinquent behavior. The three major theories of delinquency are strain theory, control theory, and social learning theory.

Strain Theory

Strain theory explains that delinquency is caused by the inability of an individual to achieve culturally approved goals. This theory was first proposed by Robert Merton in 1938. According to this theory, individuals without the resources to achieve culturally approved goals may turn to delinquency as an alternative way of achieving those goals.

Control Theory

Control theory was proposed by Walter Reckless in 1973. This theory suggests that individuals are more likely to engage in delinquent behavior when they lack the social bonds that typically prevent this type of behavior. According to this theory, individuals who lack strong attachments to family, school, or other social institutions are more likely to engage in delinquency.

Social Learning Theory

Social learning theory proposes that individuals learn delinquent behavior from their peers. This theory was first proposed by Albert Bandura in 1977. According to this theory, individuals who observe or interact with peers who engage in delinquent behavior are more likely to engage in similar behavior themselves.

Overall, there are three major theories of delinquency: strain theory, control theory, and social learning theory. Each of these theories offers a different explanation for why individuals engage in delinquent behavior. It is important for researchers and practitioners to understand the various theories in order to develop effective interventions for individuals who engage in delinquent behavior.