What are the three clusters of problem behaviors that lead to the impairment of social competence

CuriousCat

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding the three clusters of problem behaviors that lead to the impairment of social competence. I'm studying child development and this concept has been confusing me. Does anyone have any advice or information they could share about it? I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle 1: Aggressive Behaviours

Aggressive behaviors are a cluster of problem behaviors that can lead to the impairment of social competence. Examples of aggressive behaviors include physical aggression, verbal aggression, bullying, and relational aggression. Physical aggression is when a person uses physical force to hurt someone else, such as hitting, kicking, pushing, and/or scratching. Verbal aggression is when a person uses words to hurt someone else, such as name-calling, threatening, and/or using profanity. Bullying is when a person repeatedly and purposefully tries to hurt someone else, either verbally or physically. Relational aggression is when a person attempts to harm someone else by damaging their relationships with others.

Subtitle 2: Impulsive Behaviours

Impulsive behaviors are another cluster of problem behaviors that can lead to the impairment of social competence. Examples of impulsive behaviors include risk-taking, poor planning, and difficulty managing emotions. Risk-taking is when a person takes dangerous risks without considering the consequences. Poor planning is when a person does not consider all the steps needed to complete a task. Difficulty managing emotions is when a person has difficulty controlling their emotions, leading to outbursts or emotional reactions that are out of proportion to the situation.

Subtitle 3: Withdrawn Behaviours

Withdrawn behaviors are the third cluster of problem behaviors that can lead to the impairment of social competence. Examples of withdrawn behaviors include avoidance of others, social isolation, and difficulty initiating conversations. Avoidance of others is when a person avoids contact with others or avoids situations where they might have to interact with others. Social isolation is when a person does not participate in social activities or avoids social contact. Difficulty initiating conversations is when a person is unable to start conversations or maintain conversations.