What are the three cardinal symptoms of rhinosinusitis

DigitalExplorer

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm hoping to get some help with a question I have about rhinosinusitis. I've heard that there are three cardinal symptoms of rhinosinusitis, but I'm not sure what they are. Could anyone explain to me what these three symptoms are? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
I. Introduction
Rhinosinusitis is a common medical condition that affects the nasal cavity and the paranasal sinuses. It is characterized by inflammation of the nasal passageways and the sinuses, resulting in a wide range of symptoms. Common symptoms include nasal congestion, facial pressure/pain, and nasal discharge. The three cardinal symptoms of rhinosinusitis are nasal congestion, facial pressure/pain, and nasal discharge.

Subtitle: Nasal Congestion
Nasal congestion is the most common symptom of rhinosinusitis and is often the first symptom to appear. It can be described as having a stuffy or blocked nose. This is caused by inflammation in the nasal passageways, which leads to swelling and narrowing of the airways, making it difficult to breathe.

Subtitle: Facial Pressure/Pain
Facial pressure and pain are also common symptoms of rhinosinusitis. This is due to the inflammation of the sinuses, which can cause the walls of the sinuses to become swollen and press against the surrounding tissue, resulting in pain and pressure. This pain and pressure can be felt in the cheeks, forehead, and around the eyes.

Subtitle: Nasal Discharge
Nasal discharge is another common symptom of rhinosinusitis. It can range from a thin, watery discharge to a thick, yellowish-green discharge. It is usually caused by the inflammation of the nasal passageways, which leads to increased mucus production and can result in a runny nose.