What are the symptoms of immune mediated hemolytic anemia

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,
I am looking for some help. I recently heard about something called immune mediated hemolytic anemia and I'm trying to learn more about it. Can anyone tell me what the symptoms of this condition are? I'm hoping to get as much information as possible so any help would be appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Symptoms of Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

Immune mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) is a condition in which the body's immune system attacks and destroys red blood cells. This can lead to anemia, which is a decrease in the number of healthy red blood cells. Symptoms of IMHA can vary depending on the severity of the condition and individual factors.

Common symptoms of IMHA include:

Pale skin: This is one of the first signs of IMHA and is caused by a decrease in the red blood cells responsible for carrying oxygen to the skin and other organs.

Lethargy and fatigue: As the number of red blood cells decreases, the body has less oxygen to use. This can lead to feelings of exhaustion and a lack of energy.

Shortness of breath: As the number of red blood cells decreases, the body may not be able to get enough oxygen and this can cause difficulty breathing.

Jaundice: This is a yellow discoloration of the skin and eyes caused by a buildup of bilirubin, a substance produced as a result of the destruction of red blood cells.

Dark urine: The destruction of red blood cells can cause a build-up of bilirubin, which can give the urine a dark color.

Pain in the abdomen: IMHA can cause pain in the abdomen due to a buildup of bilirubin in the liver.

Fever: As the body's immune system attacks the red blood cells, it can trigger a fever.

Swollen spleen and lymph nodes: The spleen and lymph nodes can become swollen as a result of the body's immune system attacking the red blood cells.

Blood clots: IMHA can cause an increase in the production of red blood cells, which can lead to the formation of blood clots.

IMHA can be a serious condition, so it is important to seek medical attention if you experience any of the above symptoms. Your doctor will be able to diagnose the condition and recommend the appropriate treatment.