What are the symptoms of hemolytic reaction to blood

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for some help understanding the symptoms of hemolytic reaction to blood. I'm trying to learn more about this medical condition and what I should expect if I'm having a hemolytic reaction. Does anyone here have experience with this or know of any resources I can use to learn more? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Symptoms of Hemolytic Reaction to Blood

Hemolytic reaction to blood is an abnormal response by the body to a blood transfusion, where the body's immune system reacts to the foreign red blood cells present in the donated blood. The symptoms of this reaction can vary depending on the severity of the reaction.

Anemia: A decrease in red blood cells, which can lead to anemia and fatigue.

Rashes: Itching and hives may occur, as well as other skin reactions.

Fever: A high fever is an indication of a severe reaction.

Jaundice: The skin and eyes may take on a yellowish hue due to the destruction of red blood cells.

Shortness of Breath: This is a sign of a severe reaction and requires immediate medical attention.

Low Blood Pressure: As the red blood cells are destroyed, the blood pressure may drop significantly.

Nausea and Vomiting: An indication of a severe reaction, which can be accompanied by abdominal pain.

Kidney Failure: The kidneys may be unable to filter the waste caused by the destruction of red blood cells, resulting in kidney failure.

Hemolytic reaction to blood can be a serious condition and it is important to seek medical attention if any of the above symptoms are experienced. If left untreated, the symptoms can worsen and even become life-threatening.