What are the signs of hypoxia on CTG

strawberry

"Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some advice from others who have experience with hypoxia on CTG. I'm wondering what the signs of hypoxia are on CTG? Are there any specific indicators that should alert me to the presence of hypoxia? Does anyone have any experience with this, or advice on what to look out for? Any help would be much appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Signs of Hypoxia on CTG

CTG, or cardiotocography, is a diagnostic test used to monitor the fetal heart rate and uterine contractions during pregnancy. It is important to understand the potential signs of hypoxia, or reduced oxygen levels, on CTG. Hypoxia can have serious consequences for the baby and mother if not detected and treated early.

FHR Variability

Fetal Heart Rate (FHR) variability is the most important sign of hypoxia on CTG. Abnormal FHR variability indicates that the baby is not receiving enough oxygen and is struggling to cope with a stressful situation. It is important to monitor FHR variability for changes over time. Any significant decrease in variability could be an indication of hypoxia.

Uterine Contractions

Uterine contractions can also be used to detect signs of hypoxia on CTG. If contractions become too frequent or too strong, it could be an indication of hypoxia. Uterine contractions can also occur as a result of fetal distress, which can be caused by hypoxia.

Fetal Movement

Fetal movement can also be an indication of hypoxia on CTG. If the baby is not moving as frequently as usual, or if the movements become less frequent and less vigorous, it could be a sign of hypoxia.

Fetal Tone

Fetal tone is another important sign of hypoxia on CTG. Fetal tone is the baby's ability to move its limbs and head in response to stimulation. If the baby's movements become weak or sluggish, it could be a sign of hypoxia.

Amniotic Fluid Volume

The volume of amniotic fluid can also be an indication of hypoxia on CTG. If the amniotic fluid levels are low, it could be a sign that the baby is not receiving enough oxygen.

Maternal Blood Pressure

Maternal blood pressure can also be an indication of hypoxia on CTG. If the mother's blood pressure is too high, it could be a sign that the baby is not receiving enough oxygen.

Fetal Pulse Oximetry

Fetal pulse oximetry is a newer diagnostic tool that can be used to measure the amount of oxygen being delivered to the baby. A decrease in oxygen levels can be an indication of hypoxia.