What are the side effects of azithromycin

DreamWeaver

I'm looking for help understanding the common side effects of azithromycin. I've heard that it can cause some major side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, but I'm not sure how common those are.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Side Effects of Azithromycin

Azithromycin is an antibiotic used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is generally considered safe and well tolerated, but there are some potential side effects to be aware of. The most common side effects of azithromycin include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache, and diarrhea. Other more serious side effects include rash, hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Gastrointestinal Side Effects

The most common side effects of azithromycin are gastrointestinal in nature. Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea are the most common gastrointestinal side effects. These side effects can usually be managed with medications such as antacids or anti-diarrheal medications.

Allergic Reactions

Allergic reactions to azithromycin are rare but can be serious. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include rash, hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

Other Side Effects

Other less common side effects of azithromycin can include headache, dizziness, tiredness, and hearing changes. Additionally, azithromycin can cause changes in liver function or blood cell levels, which can be monitored with regular blood tests.

It is important to remember that everyone may react differently to medications. You should always talk to your healthcare provider about any potential side effects or concerns you may have about taking azithromycin.