What are the serious side effects of azithromycin

measqu

I'm looking for help understanding the serious side effects of azithromycin. I've been prescribed this medication for a bacterial infection and while I understand the common side effects, I'm still concerned about the more serious ones.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Serious Side Effects of Azithromycin

Azithromycin is an antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. It is generally a safe medication with few side effects. However, there are some serious side effects that may occur with the use of azithromycin. These side effects can be life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.

Allergic Reactions

Allergic reactions are one of the most serious side effects of azithromycin. Symptoms can include rash, itching, swelling, difficulty breathing, and severe dizziness. If any of these symptoms occur, seek medical attention immediately.

Liver Damage

Azithromycin can cause liver damage in some people. Symptoms of liver damage include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, yellowing of the eyes or skin, dark urine, and fatigue. If any of these symptoms occur, seek medical attention immediately.

Hearing Loss

Azithromycin has been known to cause hearing loss in some people. Symptoms include ringing in the ears, difficulty hearing, dizziness, and loss of balance. If any of these symptoms occur, seek medical attention immediately.

Irregular Heartbeat

Azithromycin can cause an irregular heartbeat in some people. Symptoms include chest pain, dizziness, fainting, and shortness of breath. If any of these symptoms occur, seek medical attention immediately.

Kidney Damage

Azithromycin can cause kidney damage in some people. Symptoms include decreased urine output, swelling in the legs and feet, and fatigue. If any of these symptoms occur, seek medical attention immediately.

It is important to be aware of the potential side effects of any medication you are taking. If you experience any of the above symptoms while taking azithromycin, seek medical attention immediately.