What are the post mortem findings in strangulation

DigitalExplorer

I'm hoping to get some help from other forum users on the topic of post mortem findings in strangulation. I'm looking for information on the type of damage that can be found in a victim of strangulation, as well as any other information that might be relevant. Can anyone provide me with more information about the post mortem findings in strangulation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subtitle Forum: Post Mortem Findings in Strangulation

Strangulation is the act of compressing the neck and cutting off the flow of oxygen to the brain. It is a form of asphyxiation and can lead to death if left untreated. Post mortem findings in strangulation can help to determine the cause of death and provide important information for medical and legal purposes.

Asphyxia: Asphyxia is the medical term for a condition in which the body is deprived of oxygen. In strangulation, the neck is compressed, cutting off the flow of oxygen to the brain. This can cause unconsciousness and death if left untreated.

Signs of Strangulation: Signs of strangulation can include marks on the neck, bruising, and petechiae (tiny dots on the skin caused by broken blood vessels). These signs can be seen during a post mortem examination.

Internal Findings: Internal findings can include evidence of asphyxia, such as swelling of the brain, congestion of the lungs, and petechiae in the eyes. Other findings may include fractured hyoid bones, fractured larynx, and evidence of choking.

Toxicology: Toxicology can be used to determine if any drugs or alcohol were present in the body at the time of death. This can help to determine if the strangulation was intentional or accidental.

Autopsy: An autopsy is an examination of the body after death. During an autopsy, the body is examined for signs of strangulation, as well as any other findings that may be relevant. This includes examination of the organs, tissues, and fluids.

Conclusion: Post mortem findings in strangulation can provide important information for medical and legal purposes. These findings can help to determine the cause of death, as well as any contributing factors.