What are the phases of allergic response

CuriousCat

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I hope you all can help me understand the phases of allergic response. I'm currently doing research on allergies and I'm having a hard time understanding the different phases of a person's reaction to an allergen. Can anyone explain the different phases and how they might differ among different people? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Introduction

Allergic reactions are an abnormal response of the body's immune system to a foreign substance. Allergic reactions can range from mild to life-threatening, and can be triggered by anything from food and medications to pollen and pet dander. There are four distinct phases of an allergic response, including the recognition, release, reaction and resolution phases.

Recognition Phase

In the recognition phase, the body's immune system identifies the foreign substance as a potential threat. During this phase, the body produces antibodies, which attach to the cells and activate them. This causes the body to release histamines, which help the body fight against the foreign substance.

Release Phase

In the release phase, the body releases chemicals such as histamines, prostaglandins and leukotrienes to fight against the foreign substance. Histamines cause inflammation and swelling, while prostaglandins and leukotrienes help maintain the integrity of the cell walls and help to control inflammation.

Reaction Phase

In the reaction phase, the body reacts to the presence of the foreign substance by releasing more chemicals, such as cytokines and interleukins. Cytokines help the body fight the foreign substance by stimulating the production of antibodies, and interleukins help to regulate the immune response.

Resolution Phase

In the resolution phase, the body begins to return to its normal state. The body produces anti-inflammatory chemicals, such as cortisol, to help reduce inflammation and swelling. The body also produces chemicals that help to break down the foreign substance, which helps to reduce the allergic reaction.